Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Kite Runner

Well, this is the "Academy rush" and the screenings are piling up. So, Fish and I saw a screening of The Kite Runner Wednesday, with screenwriter David Benioff participating afterwards. Now, I'm a sucker for films about kids, particularly mud kids. Salaam Bombay, Pixote, Sugarcane Alley, the early childhood segment of Farewell My Concubine, and, above all, the great Don Luis Bunuel's Los Olvidados. While too much has already been said about this beloved book, I'll refrain from talking about plot, there is one particular thing I do want to mention.

That is how much the scene of the child Hasan, (Ahmad Khan Mahmidzada), in the aftermath of trauma and holding onto the chased after and caught kite, is the embodiment of tragedy.

Kids will, if ever, be the last group to be liberated.