Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"We" can send a man to the moon but...

I always tell my daughter that the baby boomers were goofy, but they did some cool shit. They consistently got up off their asses and said hell no to a racist war, bounced a criminal and his hitmen from the whitey house [sic], fought for civil rights, and fought for women's rights.

But I also like to brag about our art: The films and music of the 60s & 70s stand the test of time. Here's one, courtesy of a reminder from the Stern show, who played it last week.

Note to all you fake azz wanna-be so-called "hard" or "gangsta" mcs that are merely hos for corporate conglomerates: y'all need to ask KRS1 and Chuck (dap to PE's new one on this - and KRS is on it) about the meaning of "hard." Maybe once you get it there, then you can talk to David Hilliard or Elaine Brown or Piri Thomas or Luis Rodriguez...

Yeah, right.

From back in the day, Mister Gil Scott-Heron, circa 1972, couple of years after our moon landing.



WHITEY ON THE MOON

A rat done bit my sister Nell
with Whitey on the moon

Her face and arms began to swell
and Whitey's on the moon

I can't pay no doctor bills
but Whitey's on the moon

Ten years from now I'll be payin' still
while Whitey's on the moon

You know, the man just upped my rent last night
'cause Whitey's on the moon

No hot water, no toilets, no lights
but Whitey's on the moon

I wonder why he's uppin' me?
'cause Whitey's on the moon?

I wuz already givin' 'im fifty a week
and now Whitey's on the moon

Taxes takin' my whole damn check,
Junkies makin' me a nervous wreck,
The price of food is goin' up,
An' as if all that crap wuzn't enough
A rat done bit my sister Nell
with Whitey on the moon

Her face an' arm began to swell
and Whitey's on the moon

With all that money I made last year
for Whitey on the moon
How come I ain't got no money here?
Hmm! Whitey's on the moon

Y'know I jus' 'bout had my fill
of Whitey on the moon
I think I'll send these doctor bills
Airmail special

to Whitey on the moon



Brotha GSH circa '96, holdin' it down.