Saturday, August 25, 2007

Golden Ears

I've been doing this gig at a major broadcaster (one of the big four) and happened to bump into an old audiophile friend, "Andy." Andy's a really bright guy when it comes to audio stuff as he works with state-of-the-art rigs in sota studios. We're talking Meyer Sound monitors (for the ultra audiophiles, they're industry standard for near-field monitoring), bass traps and RPG Diffusers.

This is about what I feel confident in saying was not just a near-singular experience while I was living it (because after all, aren't we all living those?) but one that was great.

Andy began telling me how he had a copy of the Alan Parsons quadraphonic mix of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and he not only had this but had the hardware and the environment to pump it through.

Needless to say, I imbibed. One of the best hours of my life, aesthetically speaking.

Now, before all of you audio freaks get it twisted up, I'm gonna tell you a thing or two.

On second thought, screw it.

This was a really cool experience. Leave it at that.