Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Oasis: The Genius of Albert Cullum

My latest email blast...

"I believe that education on the national level is a cancer of mediocrity."
-Albert Cullum

Independent Lens & ITVS did it again.

I have always rebelled against compulsory education the way I was exposed to it. In a nutshell, it's boring, lifeless and dull. I've seen the creativity of good kids slowly snuffed out of them, year by year until they've none of it left save for some remnant that lies dormant, like a recessive gene.

One of my favorite topics for table talk is education. I like to find out from others out of all the teachers in their life how many they felt really cared about the kids and went beyond the mundane. The average is usually around 3 at most.

I don't say this often, but this film was great - parts of it soared with inspiration.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/touchofgreatness

Also, kudos to PBS for consistently distributing this series, one of the few mass-distribution homes for cutting edge filmmaking.